- scheduling of event on two hours’ notice
- event to be held during peak class hours
- use of a large, centrally-located auditorium
- professional quality free-speech sound system
- police protection from airport to campus and back
- $20,000 speakers fee
- campus Republicans to shine shoes, carry bags, etc
- distilled water in glass carafes
- catering by Chez Panisse
- two tickets to Hamilton
Free Speech and the Alt-Right – talk about being unclear on the concept.
Or, Where Are the Clowns of Yesteryear?
Berkeley, April 15 2017 – Reporting from the amorphous front lines of Berkeley after an afternoon counter-protesting the “Hate Speech Is Free Speech” rally.
I woke Saturday morning and knew I needed to get downtown to oppose the Hate Speech rally.
This wasn’t my kind of event – a lot of standing around listening to people exercise their freedom of speech by yelling at each other, punctuated by interludes of frightening mayhem.